A centuries-old History
It was the year one thousand when Sigeric, Archbishop of Canterbury, outlined the first walking pilgrimage to Rome, the road which later took the name of Francigena, and in the county of Strove and Staggia reigned the Lambardi family, author of the economic revitalization of the area after the dark age of Roman Empire decline. Ildebrando Lambardi, descending from a noble Longobard family , married countess Ava Zenovi, whose sarcophagus is still on view in the right aisle of the abbey in Abbadia a Isola, and had two sons: Tegrimo who married Sindrada and Berizio.After the Lambardi family, the Castle, in the XII century, was handed to Soarzi's family, that became one of the greatest feudal realities of the Valdelsa. The Soarzi were many times involved in the struggles between Florence and Siena being their properties in the middle of the territories of the two powerful cities. This family knew glories and shines during the 12th century but, their importance decrease during the following century. In the XIII century, became the property of Ghinibaldo Saracini, husband of Sapia Salvani mentioned by Dante Alighieri in his "Purgatory." In the XV century, under the Capacci family, the stones of the floors and of the portals of the castle were carved with the boar's head, their coat of arms.
The most ancient part of Castel Pietraio is its tower with its particular Guelph battlement. The next building were built later from 1300 to 1500, and now they form the present quadrangular plan of the complex with the inside cloister, where a well for the collection of the rainwater provided for the water supply of that time; and the outside stone staircase which connected the tower to the most recent buildings. The construction of the church dedicated to Saints Peter and Paul and the buildings of the little village dates from 1700.